Dog Park/Perkins Rd. Site
1501 E. Perkins Rd., Urbana, IL
About the Park:
The Perkins Rd Site and the Dog Park are on land leased from the Urbana-Champaign Sanitary District (UCSD). This location is home to both the Urbana Dog Park and to an in-progress natural areas restoration. Free parking for the dog park is just off Perkins Road. See an aerial site map.
The Dog Park was developed in 2003 with the assistance of the Dog Park Advisory Committee and numerous private donors. The 10 acre area is especially for dogs to run off leash and is open from sunrise to sunset. It has a shaded grove of trees and lots of open meadow areas. This park provides a fun place for your dog to romp with other dogs and for you to meet and get to know other dog owners. The site has running water spring through fall and two separate fenced in areas, including a smaller area for timid dogs.
Visitors may enter by paying a $5 daily admission fee at the park or by purchasing a membership at the Phillips Recreation Center. Annual memberships are reciprocal with the Champaign Park District Dog Park. See below for complete membership information.
Perkins Road Site Restoration
The Urbana Park District is in the process of restoring the natural areas of the lower 35 acres with the assistance of the UCSD and the Illinois Department of Natural Resources. This area is not currently accessible to the public due to rehabilitation project. In the future this area will host native plantings, educational programs, bird watching and recreation opportunities.
Dog Park Membership
Membership is for one calendar year (Jan-Dec) and fees are not pro-rated. Visitors may enter by completing a daily entrance form and paying a daily fee at the park.
Urbana Park District staff members monitor the dog park to ensure that users are properly registered and identified. Users without proper registration will be asked to leave and may forfeit any future park privileges.
See the membership manual for complete rules and other important information.
To become a member, complete this dog park registration form and turn it in at the Phillips Recreation Center.
The following is required to complete membership registration:
- County registration form (or other proof of rabies vaccination)
- Current vaccination record from the vet (proof of distemper vaccination)
One dog (resident): $38 | One dog (nonresident): $57 | Each additional dog: $6
For purposes of dog park membership, a resident is considered a resident of the Urbana Park District or Champaign Park District. Contact a staff member at 217-367-1544 if you are unsure if you live in the boundaries of the park districts. See a UPD Boundary Map.
Dog Park Rules
- The dog owner agrees to assume the full risk of any injuries, damages or loss connected with or associated with the use of the dog park. Owners are responsible for the actions of their dogs and may be subject to state laws and local ordinances concerning dangerous or vicious dogs.
- All dogs must be current with required vaccination and be registered with the county.
- Member dogs must wear both the Dog Park membership tag and county registration tag when in the park. Members must carry a photo ID with them and present upon request.
- Dogs must be leashed while entering and exiting the park. Member must have a leash at all times.
- Dogs may not be left unattended or out of sight range or voice command. A member age 16 or older must be present at all times and is solely responsible for the actions of their dog(s).
- Children must be at least 6 years old and accompanied by a parent or guardian to enter the park.
- Dogs that exhibit vicious, fierce, aggressive, or dangerous behavior are not permitted in the park. Excessive barking is strongly discouraged.
- Female dogs in heat are not permitted in the park.
- Dogs less than 4 months old are not permitted in the park.
- Members must immediately pick up after their dog(s).
- Food (people food, dog food or dog treats) is not allowed in the park.
- Smoking is not permitted inside the dog park.
- Members are limited to three dogs per visit.
- Dogs, owners, and users creating a disturbance or violating posted rules must leave the dog park if requested by law enforcement personnel, park personnel, or their designated agents.