1505 N. Broadway Urbana, IL 61801 | Gold/Ruby Bus Route
Questions & Group Visit Scheduling: Call 217-384-4062
- Groups of 10+ should call to find the optimal time to visit: 217-384-4063
- Climbing features are intended for ages 5-12.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Leave pets at home.
The Friendship Grove Nature Playscape at the Anita Purves Nature Center is a hands-on, outdoor play space where fun in nature is led by a child's imagination and ingenuity. Together, you and your children are immersed in nature and can comfortably explore, experiment, socialize, and manipulate the environment. The playscape provides accessible play opportunities for a variety of physical, mental, cognitive, and emotional abilities. There are four main features or “anchor pieces” as well as additional play features that will change with the seasons.
Fort – Imagine all the ways you can use this multi-purpose structure.
Fallen Tree – Use large muscles to climb, jump and balance; search for signs of wildlife.
Digging Area – Get dirty and have fun playing on the ground with friends.
Tunnel – Crawl and traverse this hill/tunnel combination.
BENEFITS OF NATURE PLAY
Research shows that children who play in natural settings play in more diverse, imaginative, and creative ways and show improved language and collaboration skills. Unlike single-use play equipment, nature play offers endless variety and opportunities for multi-sensory exploration, as children learn about the natural world in a wide variety of ways. The park district’s nature-inspired, child-driven playscape will foster creative play among visitors of all ages and abilities as they make discoveries and interact with their environment.
Regular contact with nature is associated with:
Increased physical activity
Improved creativity and problem solving
Enhanced ability to focus
Reduced symptoms of ADD
Better academic performance
Better social relations
Learn more about the importance of nature play:
Parking is available in the Anita Purves Nature Center/Crystal Lake Park Family Aquatic Center parking lot. Parking is especially limited on summer afternoons. Overflow parking is available off Broadway Ave. east of the aquatic center during the summer months. Bus parking is located at the lot at Park Street and Broadway Ave.
Thank you to all of our generous donors and to everyone who made the creation of the Nature Playscape possible! Donations are still being accepted and will allow the playscape to change and grow over time.
Questions? Want to make a significant or named gift? Contact Ellen Kirsanoff, UPD Development Manager, at email@example.com or 217-367-1536.
The Urbana Park District is accepting donations of "loose parts for play".
The nature playscape, Busey Woods Gateway and Boardwalk Trails and Anita Purves Nature Center are wheelchair accessible.
EXPLORE CRYSTAL LAKE PARK FOR MORE FUN
Crystal Lake Park has many opportunities for fun
- Come on inside the Anita Purves Nature Center - FREE
- explore the Field Station and Wildlife Observation Room inside the nature center
- shop at the Nature Shop and take home a Friendship Grove Nature Playscape backpack and sand pail
- Hike Busey Woods along the Busey Gateway and Boardwalk Trails
- Cool off at the Crystal Lake Park Family Aquatic Center with features flume slides, drop slides, climbing wall, dump bucket, sand play area, vortex, wet deck, and more.
- Rent a paddleboat, rowboat or canoe at the Lake House
- Fish in Crystal Lake (kids age 16 and under do not need a fishing license)
Public restrooms are located outside the Crystal Lake Park Family Aquatic Center (April-October) and inside the Anita Purves Nature Center during open hours. Thank you for wiping off your shoes before entering!