Ashley Dennis, Outreach and Wellness Coordinator, shows us a handy way to keep track of how much water we're drinking.
During our self-quarantining, all of our normal habits can easily be thrown out of wack. One of the habits that is incredibly important, especially when we are stressed out, is hydration. Proper hydration habits can help maintain all aspects of wellness, including keeping our minds and bodies alert and focused. Hydration can also help fight snack cravings which are all too familiar with us being stuck inside. The National Association of Medicine recommends letting thirst lead your water consumption, but suggests on average that adult men consume 15 cups and adult women consume 11 cups per day. Here are a few suggestions to help you stay on top of your hydration:
- Keep water around you and filled up at all times
- Drink a glass of water before eating
- Set an alarm that goes off hourly, reminding you to take a few sips
- Slice up lemon or lime wedges to add to the taste
- Download hydration apps on your devices that help you keep track of your intake and sends you reminders to drink
My personal favorite is Plant Nanny. With every cup of water you drink, you are rewarded with giving those glasses to a plant that can continue to grow into a whole garden.