As the weather turns cooler, the Anita Purves Nature Center wants people to know that the nature center is a great place to host kids’ birthday parties.
“If your child likes nature, dinosaurs, bugs or reptiles, the nature center is the place for your next birthday party,” said Savannah Donovan, Environmental Public Program Coordinator.
The nature center offers different-themed parties:
- Mud Kitchen Party – outside in the Friendship Grove Nature Playscape from spring through fall
- Owls Party – learn about owls when a live animal visits the party
- Reptiles Party – live snakes and box turtles visit the kids
- Dino-Mite Party – kids go on their own dig to learn more about dinosaurs
- Creepy Crawly Party – search from slugs and bugs outdoors from spring through fall
- Nature Scavenger Hunt Party – explore the nature playscape, Busey Woods or the nature center in search of wildlife
- Going Batty Party – crafts and games reveal the special lives of bats
- Campfire Party – learn how to build a campfire, enjoy roasting marshmallows and learn about nocturnal wildlife in Busey Woods (spring through fall and weather permitting)
- Custom Party – work with nature center staff to come up with a party kids will remember
“Our staff can work with you to make sure the party is age-appropriate and something kids will enjoy,” Donovan added.
After the program, use the room to open presents and eat treats you bring for your guests.
It costs $130 to schedule a party program and room rental at the nature center for 2.5 hours for up to 15 children. “They can add more time to the party for only $40 an hour,” Donovan said.
No matter the weather, Donovan and the Anita Purves Nature Center staff is ready to help you plan a great party for kids. They can call the nature center at (217) 384-4062 to work with staff to reserve space and plan a party.
“The nature center is open to all and has something to teach everybody. We look forward to helping you celebrate a special day,” Donovan concluded.