Community Programs include a wide variety of classes for many ages, primarily at the Phillips Recreation Center. Our goal is to achieve excellence and improve the quality of life of community members by providing outstanding services, facilities and creative, efficient and rewarding programs for people of all ages.
One focus is Cultural Arts programming, featuring an array of dance opportunities at the Phillips Recreation Center.
- Preschool classes like the popular Teeny Ballereenies series
- Youth ballet and tap
- Adult classes in Belly Dancing, Folk Dancing, Ballet, Tap, Bharata Natyam and more
- Social Dances with our affiliate groups: the English Country Dancers and the Urbana Country Dancers
If you’ve got children out of school, we have year-round opportunities for them:
- Summer Arts Camp, Teens In Action Camp
- Holiday Camp
- Camps that run before and after the traditional summer season: School’s Out for Summer and Construction Camp
- C-U Around Town: individual days of fun field trips and crafty activities on many days when Urbana students are dismissed
- SPLASH after school programs at Urbana Middle School, Urbana High School, and King, Prairie, and Leal Elementary schools- see a recent Urbana Middle School SPLASH project here.
Through the year, we have classes/programs and family events for all ages and interests, such as:
- Roots Walk
- Senior Activities like the UPD Senior Club monthly potlucks, Brown Bag Movie Days and day trips
- Family programs like Classic Games for the Family and Candy House Creations
- Exciting birthday parties where our staff coordinate games and decorations, cake and invitations
- Community Gardening classes like Urban Homesteading
The Urbana Park District is a key player in the SPLASH program: learn more.