Enjoy a variety of programs, parks and special facilities that contribute to the attractiveness of neighborhoods, conservation of the environment and overall health of the community.
Community Programs include a wide variety of classes for many ages, primarily at the Phillips Recreation Center. Our goal is to achieve excellence and improve the quality of life of community members by providing outstanding services, facilities and creative, efficient and rewarding programs for people of all ages.
One focus is Cultural Arts programming, featuring an array of dance opportunities at the Phillips Recreation Center.
- Preschool classes like the popular Teeny Ballereenies series
- Youth ballet and tap
- Adult classes in Belly Dancing, Folk Dancing, Ballet, Tap, Swing Dance and more
- Social Dances with our affiliate groups: the English Country Dancers and the Urbana Country Dancers
If you’ve got children out of school, we have year-round opportunities for them:
- Summer Arts Camp
- Holiday Camp
- Camps that run before and after the traditional summer season: School’s Out for Summer, Construction Camp, and Science Camp
- School's Out Days: individual days of fun field trips and crafty activities on many days when Urbana students are dismissed
- SPLASH (Students Playing and Learning After School Hours) programs at Urbana Middle School, Urbana High School, and King, Prairie, and Leal Elementary schools.
Through the year, we have classes/programs and family events for all ages and interests, such as:
- Crystal Lake Park Roots Walk
- Meadowbrook Park Jazz Walk
- Age-Friendly Activities like the UPD Senior Club monthly potlucks, Euchre groups, day trips, and more
- Family programs like Pumpkin Carving and Candy House Creations
- Exciting birthday parties where our staff coordinate games and decorations, cake and invitations
- Community Cooking classes like Taste of the Mediterranean and Kids Cook.
The Urbana Park District is a key player in the SPLASH program: learn more.