You Belong Here Initiative
Urbana Park District is for everybody. Whether you are interested in physical fitness, recreation, wildlife, the environment, art, community or a simple walk in the park, remember: You Belong Here.
How do we embody this philosophy? We ask questions and listen to our residents. The park district has taken time to gather input from nearly 1,000 community members and stakeholders. From those conversations and surveys, we work towards improving the quality of life of our citizens through the responsive, efficient, and creative park and recreation system for all.
The Urbana Park District is committed to creating a diverse environment for its staff and community members. In 2015, the park district began placing greater emphasis on the creation of a welcoming, affirming, and inclusive culture in which all community members and staff feel they belong; hence the “You Belong Here” philosophy accompanying the park district logo.
The Urbana Park District has many inclusive efforts in place such as:
- Provides program inclusion services through Champaign-Urbana Special Recreation (CUSR); providing modifications depending on the individual needs and abilities of participants.
- Using inclusive language on registration forms, program guides and other written materials.
- Alleviating transportation barriers by utilizing Urvana to bring accessible programs, events and on-site registration to underserved communities.
- Maintaining fields, gyms, and other spaces to support culturally diverse athletics in the community.
- Signage, and additional facility enhancements, such as artwork and murals, that promote diversity and inclusion.
Learn more about our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in our new You Belong Here Inclusion Strategy here. En español, haga clic aquí
Urbana Park District is for everyone from all walks of life and for all stages in life. We are here to help provide safe, fun, healthy and educational opportunities for all.
Remember at Urbana Park District, “You Belong Here!”