The Urbana Park District is leading the community in environmental stewardship!
Environmental issues are important to the Urbana Park District. The District is a leader in implementing programs and practices that demonstrate the value and of responsible environmental practices. The "Green Team" committee implements and oversees environmental initiatives district-wide.
The Urbana Park District follows these environmentally responsible practices:
- Provide environmental education and interpretation opportunities for the public.
- Promote preservation, restoration management and stewardship of open spaces, nature preserves, waters, greenways and trails.
- Conserve and protect water and soil, enhance air quality, limit the production and release of damaging pollutants, and protect plants and wildlife.
- Conserve energy resources and utilize alternative energy technologies when possible.
- Re-use or recycle natural materials and manufactured products whenever possible; cooperate with local government and community groups to support recycling efforts.
- Purchase and use environmentally safe and sensitive products whenever possible.
Park district staff engage in seasonal "Green Challenges" to reduce environmental impact.
- We are working to do our part to make green driving decisions. Some good habits we are adopting (and you could adopt, too) can be found here.
- Learn about guidelines that staff follow to help make green purchasing decisions here.