After a two year absence due to the Crystal Lake Park project, Urbana Park District will again offer paddle boat, kayak, and canoe rentals this spring and summer.
"We hope people come out to see all the amazing changes to Crystal Lake Park and enjoy a fun, engaging trip on the lake," said Janet Soesbe, Community Program Manager.
People can rent boats:
- May 1 - 30: Saturdays and Sundays only from 12 - 7 p.m.
- June 3 - August 8: Thursday through Sunday from 12 - 7 p.m.
- August 14 - September 5: Saturdays and Sundays only from 12 - 7 p.m. (open Labor Day, the last day of the season)
Boat rentals are open on Memorial Day and Independence Day.
- $8 to rent a kayak for a half hour ($10 for an hour) - NEW this year!
- $8 to rent a row boat for a half hour ($10 for an hour)
- $9 for a two-person paddle boat for a half hour ($12 for an hour)
- $10 for a three-person paddle boat for a half hour ($13 for an hour)
- $11 for a four-person paddle boat for a half hour ($14 for an hour)
The park district accepts credit cards, cash or checks (with valid ID) as payment.
The rental includes Coast Guard-approved life jackets in sizes from infant to adult. Adults must accompany people under age 16.
A valid driver's license or major credit card is required as a deposit for all rentals.
The park district also needs people to staff the rental desk. People can apply at urbanaparks.org/jobs. "It's a great job for anyone and a great chance to work in a beautiful atmosphere," Soesbe added.
For more information about boat rentals, call (217) 328-1069.
"Everyone belongs and is welcome take a row boat, paddle boat, or canoe out on Crystal Lake and enjoy nature," Soesbe concluded.