With Illinois relaxing COVID-19 guidelines beginning June 11, Urbana Park District will be changing protocols and guidelines.
The park district will always follow state and local public health COVID-19 guidelines.
Tim Bartlett, Executive Director, said, “We are very happy to move into Phase 5. We thank all of our staff and patrons for their patience and cooperation since March 2020. Please continue be cautious, and extend grace to fellow patrons as we enjoy relaxed guidelines.”
“With the state in Phase 5, the park district will be lifting some masking and building capacity rules,” said Corky Emberson Superintendent of Recreation. He added, “But, we will always insure the safety of our staff, visitors and participants.”
Starting June 11 the park district will allow 100% capacity at its facilities, parks and pavilions.
Here are the Urbana Park District mask guidelines:
- People who are vaccinated do not need to wear a mask (keep reading to see exceptions).
- Unvaccinated people should wear a mask indoors at all times and should wear a mask outdoors when six feet of social distancing cannot be maintained.
- Everyone should wear masks when interacting with children, even in communal spaces. This applies regardless of vaccination status. Adults and kids can take masks off when outdoors and 6 feet of social distancing is possible.
- All participants and staff should wear a mask if caring for high risk individuals that can’t receive the vaccine.
- Vaccinated people are welcome to continue wearing masks if they choose
“The basic idea behind the mask guidelines is that we must protect children who are not yet eligible to receive a COVID-19 vaccine and those who cannot get the vaccine,” Emberson explained.
The Illinois Department of Public Health has not come out yet with new guidelines for aquatics programs. “That means we ask patrons to continue to wear a mask when entering the pool deck and getting seated, and when they leave the pool. They don’t need to wear a mask when sitting by the pool or in the water,” Emberson added.
People who have questions about COVID-19 guidelines can call Urbana Park District at (217) 367-1544.