400 W. Indiana Ave., Urbana IL | Orange/Grey/Bronze/Gold Bus Route
About the Park:
Established in 1909, Carle Park is Urbana’s third oldest park. The land was donated by Mrs. Margaret Carle Morris in memory of her first husband. Albert G. Carle. Carle Park became home to Lorado Taft's "Lincoln the Lawyer" bronze statue in 1927. The piece is located near the walkway that links the park with Urbana High School to the east. The park’s historic pavilion was rehabilitated in 2012 with the addition of wrought iron gates to protect the pavilion’s interior.
The park has a playground and practice soccer field for the Urbana Park District's youth soccer program. More than 50 well-established trees in Carle Park are part of the award winning Hickman Tree Walk among which is the largest English Oak in Illinois, located just southeast of the pavilion.
You can briefly identify different trees using the Hickman Tree Walk map and the specimen guide. Check out a view from the air on the aerial site plan.
- Drinking fountains
- Hickman Tree Walk
- Open fields
- Paved and unpaved paths
- Sand volleyball
- Soccer goal
Thanks to Gary Cziko for providing some images of Carle Park.